domingo, 25 de noviembre de 2007

A Linux User's Look at FreeBSD - Part 1 - Package Management

I've been using various Linux flavors for years, on my servers, desktops, and laptops, but they have usually been some sort of Gentoo- or Debian-based distribution, more recently settling with my current favorite, Ubuntu. However, I've also been using a special BSD-derived distribution for my router PC called pfSense. It's based on the rock-solid m0n0wall distribution, but it includes many more features, packages, and options, including the ability to set up an Atheros chipset WiFi card to act as a wireless access point. I've been very happy with pfSense, and it's been running fairly stable for the past six months, with only occasional reboots needed, more to fix problems from my cable modem than due to pfSense itself.

(more...)

No hay comentarios: