jueves, 3 de mayo de 2007

Opening the Unix Desktop to Web Developers

I have always played with web design on my Windows XP workstation, and with the event of open-source operating systems, I wanted to try to set up a fully-functional desktop aimed at web design easily. After reading this article you'll see that beside Adobe Flash, you can have an affordable, secure and alternative system which can fullfill your needs.

We can find examples of configurations for popular Linux distros with step-by-step procedures to install applications aimed at web design or multimedia. This time, I'm going to use PC-BSD, a fairly new operating system based on rock-solid FreeBSD, because installing software, especially commercial applications, is more familiar on PC-BSD for someone like me who's a long term Windows user. I won't describe the system installation, to sum up, it's a simple step-by-step wizard that assists you to install your system, pretty much like Windows and popular Linux distros.

(more...)

No hay comentarios: